You'll take one bite of this vegan, gluten-free, melt-in-your-mouth masterpiece and never look back.
If you are looking for a vegan version of the enchilada, I've got you covered. This melt-in-your-mouth masterpiece never once makes you miss meat or real cheese. You'll take one bite and never look back... until you've cleaned your plate and started thinking about seconds.
The butternut squash introduces a tender, buttery flavor that melts right in with the sauce and spices. I recommend purchasing already-cubed butternut squash to simplify this recipe. The quinoa in the tortillas also adds an extra boost of protein and complex carbs for better digestion and absorption of nutrients into the body.
- 2 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup salsa of choice
- 1 cup vegan cheese
- 1 ½ cups enchilada sauce (red or green)
- sliced jalapeños, for garnish
- cilantro, for garnish
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. quinoa flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- ½ tsp. garlic
- ½ tsp. onion powder
- a pinch of salt
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
1. Preheat your oven to 375ºF.
2. Heat the olive oil on medium-low in a small saucepan. Add in the flour, all the spices, and the tomato paste. Whisk until the consistency thickens.
3. Slowly pour in 1 cup of the vegetable broth, continuing to whisk until smooth. Reduce heat to simmer, let cook for about 2 minutes, and then whisk in the second cup of vegetable broth. Let simmer for another 2 minutes and then remove from heat and set aside.
4. Add the cubed butternut squash into a large pan with 2 Tbsp. water. Cover and steam the squash for 8 minutes, or until fork tender.
5. Add in the beans and salsa and stir until everything is warm.
6. Spoon 2 Tbsp. of the sauce into the bottom of your baking dish. Prepare each tortilla by adding 3 Tbsp. of filling and then rolling it up. Line the tortillas up seam-side-down in the baking dish.
7. Pour the rest of the sauce over the tortillas and top with the vegan cheese, cilantro, and sliced jalapeños.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Make sure the cheese is bubbling happily before removing from the oven.
9. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before serving!