Pull out the cast iron tonight and treat yourself to a delicious gourmet pork chop.
I don't recommend going hog-wild and eating pork, ground beef, and rib-eye every night of the week. But, sprinkling a little red meat into your diet can provide you with a few health benefits and a nice reprieve from chicken, chicken, and more chicken.
Below is a gourmet pork chop recipe that I pull out as the weather and the week permit. While it tastes like comfort food, the dish boasts a high amount of healthy ingredients—nourishing the body just as much as it does the soul. Pull out the cast iron and treat yourself to a delicious parmesan-crusted pork chop.
- 4 boneless pork chops (about ½-inch thick)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of Italian-style gluten-free panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup finely-grated parmesan (or dairy-free alternative)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 ½ cups mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 12-15 baby red potatoes, cut in half
- 1-2 bunches of broccolini
- parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
1. Crack one egg into a shallow dish and beat with a fork.
2. In a separate dish, combine the gluten-free bread crumbs and parmesan.
3. Melt 1 Tbsp. butter and 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
4. Dip each pork chop into the egg dish and then the bread crumb and parmesan dish. Press the bread crumbs into the meat until they are evenly coated on each side.
5. Once the butter and olive oil start to bubble, place the pork chops into the skillet for about 4 minutes on each side, or until a golden crust forms.
6. Place the remaining butter and olive oil in a separate pan and heat over medium high.
7. Add the mushrooms and shallots into the pan and toss regularly for about 10 minutes.
8. Add salt and pepper to taste.
9. Place the broccolini and red potatoes in a steamer and cook on high for 15-20 minutes.
10. Plate the pork chops and top with the mushrooms and shallots. Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
11. Add your potato and broccolini side dish and dinner is served!