Mix up your snack game with this crunchy popcorn recipe.
Snack time can be the most tempting of times. If you let yourself go too long, you feel the pull towards salty and calorie-dense foods. I thought I would share a recipe that I enjoy snacking on. It's light, yet savory. It's fun to make and satisfying to taste!
Below is my recipe for garlic "parmesan" popcorn. Since I do not eat much dairy, I use a cashew-based alternative instead of real parmesan cheese and coconut oil instead of butter. You are welcome to follow my lead or revert to the original dairy products!
⅓ cup popcorn kernels
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 tsp. garlic powder
3 Tbsp. "parmesan cheese"
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. coconut oil
1. Place 2 Tbsp. coconut oil and 2 kernels of popcorn into a 3-quart sauce pan. Cover and turn on medium-high heat.
2. Once the test kernels begin to pop, pour the rest of the popcorn kernels into the pan and gently shake the pan to coat the kernels evenly.
3. Cover and continue shaking the pan as the kernels pop. Wait until all of the kernels have stopped popping before lifting the lid.
4. Turn off the heat, carefully open the lid, and pour the newly popped popcorn into a bowl. Set aside.
5. In a small bowl, mix together the garlic powder, "parmesan cheese," salt, pepper, and 2 tsp. coconut oil. (It is easier to work with a melted version of the coconut oil, so I heat it up for a few seconds in the microwave before mixing it with the other ingredients.)
6. Drizzle the seasoning over the warm popcorn and use you hands to toss it together.
7. Enjoy immediately!